Thank you, Courtney of According to Courtney, for nominating me for the Liebster Award! The only award I expected to receive for this blog was some kind of Golden Raspberry equivalent. It’s nice to be pleasantly surprised.
Major thanks to you, my readers, as well. You don’t have to put up with my nonsense, but you do. I really appreciate having you as my blogging neighbors.
The rules for the Liebster Award are:
- Post the award on your blog.
- Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog.
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 followers.
- Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.
11 Facts about Me
- I love Elton John. A LOT. Everything on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is beautiful.
- I’m really, really into Battlestar Galactica. If you follow this blog for any length of time, you may get sick of hearing about it. Lesser known fact: no matter how much I love BSG, Boston Legal is my all-time favorite show.
- I have a poisonous houseplant that lives outside but will have to come in for the winter soon.
- I hate mushrooms.
- I occasionally read poetry to my cats. They love it. LOVE it.
- I have four copies of Michael Chabon’s The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. Absolute favorite book.
- I own so many pairs of earrings. I’m approaching hoarder status.
- I’m a librarian. People ask me a lot of weird questions. But I also get questions about Star Trek, which is pretty fabulous.
- As far as I’m concerned, pie > cake.
- I like really sad movies and fiction about WWII (see Kavalier & Clay; also Atonement, Life Is Beautiful, and The Remains of the Day).
- I still have a lot of VHS tapes.
Answers to Courtney’s Questions
1. What is your biggest fear in life?
Writing about my feelings in a public forum. Ha, I know I’m a jerk. There’s a reason I write sarcastic critiques of movies instead of posts about my feelings.
2. If you had the chance to move to Mars, knowing you could never return to Earth, would you? Why?
Probably not. I’ve watched too many space-themed horror movies.
3. Which do you prefer: dogs or cats?
CATS. CATS CATS CATS CATS CATS.
4. What do you wish you had done when you were younger that you never got to do?
GO TO FUCKING DISNEYLAND. I have grown too old and cynical to go now.
5. Where is your favorite place in the world?
Half Price Books, any and all locations.
6. If you were stranded on a deserted island with one thing, what would it be?
Probably a cat. It could keep me company and maybe bring me mice (and probably wipe out the native bird population). I might even end up mayor of London, who knows?
7. Do you believe in ghosts?
8. What food could you not live without?
Chocolate. Also bread and basically all dairy products. (Don’t make me choose.)
9. If you could choose your own theme song what would it be?
The Human League’s “Don’t You Want Me.” This song just epitomizes the ‘80s cheese that lives in my heart.
10. Christmas or Halloween?
11. What is the most influential book you have ever read?
William Golding’s Lord of the Flies. I spent most of my childhood convinced that children are the worst (an opinion that has not changed). When I read LOTF in high school, I thought, “See? This William Golding guy gets me.” Of course, he was already dead by then.
11 Blogs I Love
- A Stitch to Scratch
- A Voluptuous Mind
- Reed Read Review Entertainment Enthusiast
- The Discerning Reader
- Angill Cards
- Sash Around the Clock
- Half-Naked Housewife
- Far Out in Africa
- Novel Reading
- Adventure Pengembara
11 Questions for My Nominees
- What was the last thing you borrowed from a library (or from a friend)?
- Which ‘80s pop culture icon are you? http://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/which-80s-pop-culture-icon-are-you#1oezkbh Or, if you aren’t as addicted to online quizzes as I am, which ‘80s pop culture icon would you invite to a party?
- Favorite book? Or, if too difficult, favorite book you’ve read recently?
- Cake or pie (and why)?
- Favorite post you’ve written or are at least somewhat proud of?
- A Youtube video that always makes you laugh.
- One thing you love?
- One thing you hate?
- The best thing on tv (or Netflix, Hulu, etc.) right now is _____. If you don’t watch tv, favorite movie? If you don’t watch any of the above, how do you unwind after a long day? (I threw that last part in just for you, Far Out in Africa).
- A song you always pump up when it plays on the radio (or on shuffle).
- This is really for my own purposes: any bad (or good) movie recommendations?
I hope all of my nominees decide to participate but, if not, just know that I really like your blog and look forward to your next post!